In the geography department we like to create an environment that encourages a growth mindset.
Advantages of a growth mindset include;
- Students will look for quality feedback and challenge themselves for longer
- Students will become more resilient
- It reduces stress and aggression in students
- It improves self esteem and attitude towards learning
- It can help disengaged students.
How to develop a growth mindset;
- Use praise
- Have challenging but realistic goals
- Create a culture and ethos of growth through asking questions and learning via our mistakes
- Encourage students to have a conversation with themselves by reflecting on what they have achieved and how they could improve.